I have few Raspberry Pi 2 (RPi2) laying around and doing nothing. For this project, I will be building a centralized log server on RPi2 for my home usage.
1. I’m using DietPi for the OS for simple reason, it is extremely lightweight and having the lowest memory footprint. I will not be covering the image installation to the RPi2 sdcard because that is pretty common process and I assume everyone is already know doing that. Get it from here https://dietpi.com/
2. Once DietPi is installed, ssh to it and complete the initial setup and update.
3. I’m using remotesyslog for for the log collector. If you need advance feature, you may explore Graylog2. Follow the remotesyslog installation guide from here https://www.remotesyslog.com/legacy/
4. Configure your devices to send the logs to this remotesyslog.
5. There are 2 ways of viewing the logs, through the CLI and Web UI.
6. Access the remotesyslog by launching any web browser and you may see below screen.
7. SSH to the remotesyslog and run rsview to see the logs form the terminal.
Incoming search terms:
- raspberry pi log web ui